The Six Essential Oils That Burn
Six bottles in a standard collection will burn skin at ordinary dilutions. I want you to know which six, and I want to be honest that I taught one of them badly for a while.
Let me get the confession out of the way first.
Years ago I taught oregano oil the way most people in this community taught it. A drop here, a drop there, applied close to neat because it was strong and strong seemed like the point. I watched someone develop a chemical burn on the bottom of her foot from doing exactly what I described, and I have taught it differently ever since.
So. The six.
The hot oils
| Oil | Maximum dilution |
|---|---|
| Cassia | 0.05% |
| Cinnamon Bark | 0.07% |
| Clove | 0.5% |
| Thyme (thymol type) | 0.5% |
| Oregano | 1% |
| Wintergreen | 2.4%, and lower is wiser |
Look at cassia again. Zero point zero five percent. That is not a typo and it is not me being precious. That is roughly one drop in a full ounce of carrier oil.
What "hot" actually means
These oils are dominated by constituents like cinnamaldehyde, eugenol, carvacrol, and thymol. Those compounds are irritating to skin and to mucous membrane at concentrations that other oils tolerate fine. The damage is chemical, not thermal, which is why it can keep developing after you have wiped the oil off.
Three rules for all six:
- Never neat. Not on the feet, not on the spine, not anywhere.
- Never in a bath without a dispersant. Oil does not mix with water. It floats in a concentrated film and then sits directly against the most sensitive skin you have. This is how people get hurt in ways they are embarrassed to describe.
- Never on children. Not diluted, not "just a little." Their skin is more permeable and their body mass is smaller.
Wintergreen deserves its own section
This is the highest risk bottle in most homes.
Wintergreen oil is roughly 98 percent methyl salicylate. That is chemically related to aspirin and it is absorbed readily.
A teaspoon is a potentially lethal dose for a small child. Poisoning deaths have occurred. It smells like candy, which is exactly the problem.
Store it locked or out of reach. Never take it internally. Avoid it entirely if you have an aspirin allergy, take anticoagulants, or are pregnant. Do not use it on children at all.
If you teach one oil safety lesson in your life, make it this bottle. I bring it to every class.
How to actually dilute
Percentages sound fussy until you have a cheat sheet. In one tablespoon of carrier oil, which is fifteen milliliters:
- 1% is about 4 drops
- 2% is about 9 drops
- 3% is about 13 drops
- 0.5% is about 2 drops
For cassia and cinnamon bark, you are working below one drop per tablespoon, which means you dilute in a larger batch and take from that. If a recipe cannot be made at a safe dilution, that recipe is wrong.
The oils that are the opposite
It is worth knowing which bottles are forgiving, because fear of oils is its own problem. Lavender, frankincense, copaiba, tangerine, sweet orange, Roman chamomile, and cedarwood are all comfortable at two to four percent for most adults. Copaiba in particular is one I reach for with people who react to almost everything.
Where I stand on internal use
I do not teach routine internal use of essential oils as a daily habit. That is a departure from common practice in my own community and I know it.
My reasoning is simple. An essential oil is an extremely concentrated extract, the therapeutic window for swallowing one is narrow, and the people most likely to try it at home are the least equipped to judge the dose. Aromatic and properly diluted topical use gives most people most of the benefit with a fraction of the risk.
You are welcome to disagree with me. I would just rather tell you where I actually stand than pretend I have no position.
Every single oil, with its dilution ceiling
59 single oils. Botanical source, plant part, extraction method, dilution maximum, photosensitivity, and age and pregnancy cautions.
Steffi
Affiliate disclosure. Some links here earn me a commission at no extra cost to you. I am an independent doTERRA Wellness Advocate, an independent Zinzino partner, and an Amazon Associate. I am not employed by and do not speak for any brand named here. Links that earn me nothing are labeled as such.
Health disclaimer. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Nothing here is intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. I am a Nutritional Herbalist and educator, not a physician, and nothing on this blog is medical advice or creates a practitioner relationship. Talk with a qualified healthcare provider before starting any herb, oil, or supplement, especially if you are pregnant or nursing, take prescription medication, or manage a chronic condition.
Comments
Post a Comment